Summer is here and the time of year when most people decide to make the big move. Since this is one of the busiest times of the year, it is important to be prepared for your move! We have decided to share some of our general moving tips to help you make your moving day a success!
General Moving Tips
Before Your Move:
- Clear out unwanted goods – hold a garage sale or donate your unwanted goods to a charity
- extra clothes? See if there is a shelter near you that may want them?
- extra business clothing can be donated to awesome companies like Dress for Success that help outfit people for jobs or job interviews
- Separate books – disposable, family reading, valuable.
- Get rid of flammables – paint, petrol, gas cylinders.
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers and so on.
- Start making up your change of address list.
- Arrange to have mail forwarded.
- Want to take the car? Check on import regulations and the duty payable (if traveling internationally)
- Have rugs cleaned.
- Arrange termination date for electricity, gas, oil, telephone and other main suppliers.
- Arrange your finances – close or transfer bank accounts, savings accounts and so on, if necessary.
Traveling with kids/pets? Keep these tips in mind:
- If you have children, separate cherished toys to travel with you.
- Round up personal documentation – marriage/birth certificates, driving licenses and so on
- Keep passports separate so they are not packed.
- With regards to family pets– make sure vaccinations and documentation are up to date
Make sure you have a good moving checklist like the one we have made here! As always, Student Movers is here to help you make your moving day a success!